Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lavender Roses and a Labored Walk

I left the midwives' office excited but nervous and commenced my pilgrimage down Broadway from 71st Street. The contractions were beginning to get more intense. As I passed a florist I decided to stop in quickly and buy myself some flowers. I knew that would be the farthest thing from Bob's mind and I thought they might make a nice focal point in the birthing room. I bought three lavender roses. They are my favorites because of the smell - sweet and tart all at once. As I stood online to pay a contraction hit me. It became pretty obvious to the florist shop attendant and the man in line ahead of me what was going on. They both wanted to put me in a taxi, but I told them I was walking, it wasn't far and this way I would probably have the baby sooner. I thanked them for the roses as I headed out to continue my walk downtown and west to 59th Street and Tenth Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment