Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yearning for Simplicity

Oh the irony in this one. I feel this growing desire to go back to my roots and explore living a simpler lifestyle.  In suburbia no less. I think it is part of asking myself, after a year with so much change,  what do I want from this life of mine?

I started looking at blogs and found myself totally and completely overwhelmed by all the ideas and advice. Hah...searching for simplicity lead to overwhelming complexity.

I have decided my first step is going to be to listen. 
 
Right now as I listen, I hear
  • the slow deep breathing of my sweet five year old labradoodle Cody 
  • the hum of the computer 
  • the louder hum of the cicadas outside my second floor window
 
As I go deeper, listening moves from a one sensory experieince to being multi-sensory - if I listen with the fullness of my being what do I hear?
  • my eyes listen to the warm light of the lamp on my dresser
  • my body hears the stuffiness of ragweed allergies, sinus pressure behind my eyes and pushing underneath my temples 
  • tension in my neck and shoulders that are trying to bear the unbearable
It is not comfortable to listen to my body right now. I choose to sit with the uncomfortable. and just listen.

In this one moment, stop, listen, what do you hear?

No comments:

Post a Comment